The in East Jerusalem operates under the auspices of the Makassed Islamic Charitable Society. Founded in 1968 and starting as a 60-bed unit, the Hospital has expanded during its life to its current size, licensed for 250 beds. It is one of the main referral hospitals for the Palestinian community of Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza Strip providing a range of specialties including:
- Internal Medicine (Cardiology and cardiac catheterization, Endocrinology, Pulmonology, Neurology, Nephrology and Rheumatic Diseases)
- General and specialty Surgery (including Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Adult and Pediatric Open Heart Surgery, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery)
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Fetal medicine, Neonatology
- Pediatrics with its various specialties: Genetic diseases, Thoracic, Gastrointestinal diseases, Endocrinology, Rheumatic and Metabolic diseases.
- Radiology department includes: MRI, CT, CT Angiography and Ultrasound
- Emergency, Out-patients, Central Laboratory, Blood Bank and Pathology Lab.
The Hospital runs specialized labs such as:
- Neurophysiology (EMU/EMG)
- Cytogenetic Laboratory and Molecular Genetics Laboratory
- Metabolic Laboratory
- Sleep Lab
In addition, Makassed also serves as a main teaching/training hospital in association with Al-Quds University and Palestinian, Jordanian and Arab Medical Councils and provides research facilities.
- Beds: 250
- Intensive Care Beds: 80
- In-patients: 15,597
- Out-patients: 42,272
- Emergency cases: 24,739
- Surgical Operations: 7,699.
- Employees: 900+