The Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery Department performs approximately 140 operations each year. Since Makassed Hospital is a referral hospital, it receives patients from all over the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, and sometimes from the green line areas and from neighboring Arab countries.
The services provided by the department are:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery.
- Valve repair and replacement surgery.
- Macrovascular (large blood vessels) disease surgery. Makassed is the only hospital in Palestine where this surgery is performed.
- Regulation of heartbeat operations (pacemakers).
- Pericardial disease surgery.
Connected to the Adult Cardiac Surgery Department is an intensive care unit composed of 7 beds.
The Cardiothoracic Surgery Department and team of specialist doctors and nurses at Makassed are led by Dr. Tamah Al Safadi.