The Makassed Hospital in East Jerusalem operates under the auspices of the Makassed Islamic Charitable Society. Founded in 1968 and starting as a 60-bed unit, the Hospital has expanded during its life to its current size, licensed for 250 beds. It is one of the main referral hospitals for the Palestinian community of Jerusalem, West Bank, and Gaza Strip providing a range of specialties including:
- Internal Medicine (Cardiology, Endocrinology, Pulmonology, and Nephrology)
- General and specialty Surgery (including Orthopaedics, Neurosurgery, Adult Open Heart Surgery, Vascular and Thoracic Surgery)
- Paediatric Cardiac Surgery Center
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Foetal Medicine, Paediatrics, Neonatology
- Cytogenetic Laboratory
- Molecular Genetics Laboratory
- Metabolic Laboratory
- Sleep Lab
The Hospital has a 20-bed Emergency Room and many out-patients clinics. In addition, Makassed also serves as a teaching hospital in association with Al-Quds University and provides research facilities.
Intensive Care Beds: 80
Emergency cases: 24,000
Surgical Operations (inc. Cardiac Catheterization): 8,500.
Annual Costs: $52.0 M