Social Services Department:
The Social Services Department offers a range of social, psychological and guidance services for patients admitted to Makassed Hospital and their families. The department consists of a qualified team of four specialized personnel in the fields of social services, in addition to counselling and psychosocial staff which oversees the department’s work and which consists of professional psychologists holding PhDs.
- Offering many diverse and distinguished services to patients who suffer from bad economic conditions, and health, psychological and social problems and ailments, with a focus on the marginalized and disadvantaged groups.
- Integrating psychological and social concepts with the medical concept, inside and outside the hospital, in order to upgrade the services concerned with public health and the patient’s physical, psychological and social state.
- Providing psychological and social services for employees and their children in the Hospital.
Services Offered by the Department:
- The department studies the social conditions of the patients, discussing the social and economic status of their families, after they apply for assistance, in order to make recommendations in this regard.
- It provides psychological counselling to the admitted patient and his/her family, assistance in the process of accepting the disease and dealing with it, and helps them understand the effects of the disease on the patient’s life in the future.
- It assists in the rehabilitation of the patient and his family, and takes the necessary measures needed for his return home, psychologically preparing the patient for any emergency health changes.
- It coordinates with the other social and health institutions to help the patients or to transfer them to complete their treatment or rehabilitation.
- It provides a recreational room designed to create a comfortable and familiar atmosphere for the sick child to get him out of his isolation and ease his pain, under the supervision of a specialized social worker in charge of following up the child’s psychological, social and educational progress.
- It provides a library for admitted patients, adults and children alike, which contains more than 500 books in many disciplines, in addition to monthly periodicals.
- It provides community awareness through the holding of courses, workshops, conferences, studies and research work, publications and manuals relating to the psychological and social aspects.
- It organises recreational activities for patients and their companions during special occasions and public holidays, offering gifts to them.
- It follows up on the suggestions and complaints of patients and their companions.
- It supervises some of the Hospital’s volunteer programs.
How Can One Receive these Services?
- By getting a referral from the medical staff inside inside the Hospital or from outside.
- The person concerned can go directly to the Department of Social Services.
- By getting a referral from another institutions.
The department can be contacted through:
Its main office, telephone number 6270281/02
The psychological counselling room, tel no. 6270225/02
The children’s recreational room, tel. no. 6270357/02
The Medical Library:
- A specialized and valuable Medical Library, of very high standard and quality.
- It was established in the 1960s with the beginnings of Makassed.
- It fully covers the needs of doctors in their various scientific specialties.
- The number of books and references has exceeded 2,500 books.
- Being a teaching hospital, the number of subscriptions of scientific and medical journals has exceeded 160 and covers all disciplines and the different specialization programs.
- The journals’ entries have reached 24,000, all established references for users.
- The library has been updated, following a period of recession which lasted several years, by re-establishing contact with various scientific publishing houses specializing in medical science and public health.
- New reference books were purchased, as well as new subscriptions taken out with about 40 major (weekly, monthly, quarterly) magazines in various specialized disciplines which have become established references to users, with the hope that this will continue in the long term.
- The library has installed five computer devices for use which are all connected to the Internet and are also equipped with programs able to get access to full articles in all medical fields.
- There are also two printers in the library connected to the computers, as well as a photocopier.
- The library includes a small lecture room, for about 50 people, with a plasma-screen TV and a laptop plugged into the Internet, all the necessary equipment to conduct a complete lecture.
- The library assists all health professionals, doctors and students of the Faculty of Medicine at Jerusalem University, as well as nursing students of different colleges across the nation and those completing their graduate studies, whether by telephone, email or in person.
- The library functions in accordance with international standards customary in all libraries in terms of the lending system, silence and cleanliness.
- The library uses the global National Library of Medicine classification system in categorizing its references.
- Opening hours are: Sunday – Thursday, from 8:00 – 15:00. Closed on weekends.
Department of Physical Therapy:
Makassed Hospital was the first hospital to have introduced physiotherapy to its patients in 1976. For many years after that, it remained the only hospital in the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem to provide this service. In 1985, the department opened an outpatient clinic furnished with the latest equipment available at the time and began to provide physiotherapy services to hospital patients and referrals. In addition, the department spearheaded and supported the teaching of physical therapy programs in various local universities and institutes, as well as supervising the students and providing them with the opportunity to benefit from the department’s services and capabilities, and the expertise of its staff. In 2010, the department began to offer new services by utilizing new devices and equipment which are able to cover all the cases and the needs of patients who require physical therapy, whether inpatients or referrals.
The Department of Physical Therapy offers at the present time the following services for:
1- Neck pains
3- Joint pains
4- Bronchitis and pneumonia cases
5- Facial paralysis cases
6- Stroke and bleeding cases
7- Various post bone-fracture cases
8- Muscle weakness cases
9- Sports injury cases
10- Peripheral nerve injury cases
11- Pediatric cases
12- Rehabilitation of injury cases following road accidents
13- Rehabilitation of post open-heart surgery cases
All these services are provided through the use of the following devices:
1- Electrical Stimulation (faradic + galvanic)
2- Ultrasound (pulsed + continuous)
3- Short Wave Diathermy
Department of Biomedical Engineering:
- Establishing and maintaining an effective strategy for the management and preventive maintenance of medical equipment in the hospital, and also supervising the application of this strategy by the engineers and technicians of the department.
- Preparing and following-up on requests for spare parts manufactured by foreign factories and then testing and assembling them once received.
- Purchasing spare parts from the local market.
- Planning, in advance, the accurate technical specifications of the medical devices to be purchased, taking into account the objective of the purchase and its application.
- Participating in all the processes related to installation, purchase and pricing of Makassed’s new medical devices.
- Providing the Hospital’s medical staff with a technical guide regarding the safe use of all medical devices in order to ensure their safety and the safety of patients.
- Participating in technical studies concerning the equipping of the Hospital’s departments and new medical centres.
- Supervising the implementation of contracts concluded between Makassed Hospital and representatives of foreign manufacturers in the biomedical engineering’s complex systems.