The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology consists of 4 consultant physicians, 12 resident doctors, 5 fellowship doctors, 12 interns and students from Al Quds University’s School of Medicine in addition to 14 midwives and a qualified nursing cadre of 14 nurses, assisted by an administrative director managing the department. The OB/GYN department includes 33 beds to serve patients before and after deliveries and an additional three beds in order to monitor high-risk patients in the early stages of pregnancy. The department is also equipped to serve patients who suffer from various gynecological conditions and includes an operating room for cesarean section, and for ordinary and extraordinary gynecological procedures and operations such as the removal of tumors, fetal medicine, laparoscopic surgery of the uterus, and treatment of high-risk pregnancies (including quadruplet and quintuplet pregnancies).
More than 3000 deliveries are being performed annually in addition to 400 major gynecological surgeries. Moreover, the fetal medicine unit is the only one of its kind in Palestine, where all sorts of interventions are carried out such as the detailed screening of the fetus’ organs, amniocentesis, and intrauterine blood transfusions.
Subspecialty areas treated by Makassed’s OB/GYN Department:
- Fetal medicine.
- Gynecological oncology (Women with cancers and tumors).
- Laparoscopic and endoscopic surgery of the uterus.
- Treatment of the risks of pregnancy in general.
Services provided by the OB/GYN Department:
- Services related to Gynecological conditions and obstetrics in general.
- The department is considered a tertiary referral medical center which treats complex gynecological procedures and cancers either surgically or medically.
- Treatment of high-risk conditions and pregnancies.
- Surgical procedures include: Diagnosis and surgery of the uterus through endoscopy, female incontinence, and all kinds of obstetric and gynecological surgeries.
- Monitoring the period before childbirth and shortly thereafter through advanced ultrasound examinations in 2D, 3D and 4D and in colour.
- Prenatal screening, conducting a detailed examination of the fetus’ organs through the use of ultrasound and performing ultrasound fetal heart scans.
- The performance of an amniocentesis test in order to diagnose Down Syndrome.
- Intrauterine (fetal) blood transfusions through the umbilical cord, or the fetus’ abdominal cavity.
Names of the specialized doctors working at the OBGYN Department:
Dr. Riad Qasrawi: Associate Professor and OB/GYN consultant, and the head of Makassed’s OB/GYN Department.
Dr. Saadah Sobhi: Head of the OB/GYN Department at Al Quds University and an oncology consultant at Makassed.
Dr. Bassam Al Akhdar: Assistant Professor in Al Quds University’s School of Medicine and an OB/GYN and laparoscopic surgery consultant.
Dr. Husni Samarah: OB/GYN and laparoscopic surgery lecturer and consultant.
Dr. Nabil Thawabteh: Consultant in fetal medicine and fetal abnormalities.