- A specialized and valuable Medical Library, of very high standard and quality.
- It was established in the 1960s with the beginnings of Makassed.
- It fully covers the needs of doctors in their various scientific specialties.
- The number of books and references has exceeded 2,500 books.
- Being a teaching hospital, the number of subscriptions of scientific and medical journals has exceeded 160 and covers all disciplines and the different specialization programs.
- The journals’ entries have reached 24,000, all established references for users.
- The library has been updated, following a period of recession which lasted several years, by re-establishing contact with various scientific publishing houses specializing in medical science and public health.
- New reference books were purchased, as well as new subscriptions taken out with about 40 major (weekly, monthly, quarterly) magazines in various specialized disciplines which have become established references to users, with the hope that this will continue in the long term.
- The library has installed five computer devices for use which are all connected to the Internet and are also equipped with programs able to get access to full articles in all medical fields.
- There are also two printers in the library connected to the computers, as well as a photocopier.
- The library includes a small lecture room, for about 50 people, with a plasma-screen TV and a laptop plugged into the Internet, all the necessary equipment to conduct a complete lecture.
- The library assists all health professionals, doctors and students of the Faculty of Medicine at Jerusalem University, as well as nursing students of different colleges across the nation and those completing their graduate studies, whether by telephone, email or in person.
- The library functions in accordance with international standards customary in all libraries in terms of the lending system, silence and cleanliness.
- The library uses the global National Library of Medicine classification system in categorizing its references.
- Opening hours are: Sunday – Thursday, from 8:00 – 15:00. Closed on weekends.
Makassed Hospital was the first hospital to have introduced physiotherapy to its patients in 1976. …