The Department of Internal Medicine at Makassed Hospital is a full-fledged internal medicine department in every sense of the word which covers a wide range of medical specialties including cardiology, respiratory and pulmonary medicine, endocrinology, neurology, and rheumatology, and which also possesses an intensive care unit. It is headed by Dr. Ezzedine Yassin Hussein, an internal medicine and cardiology consultant. The department contains 33 beds divided between the internal medicine ward (20 beds) and the cardiac intensive care unit which is made up of 13 beds. The department also runs two outpatient clinics on a daily basis except during weekends. Patients are admitted into the department through the Emergency Room, the outpatient clinics or as referrals from Palestinian hospitals in the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The department also cares for Makassed patients admitted from various other sections of the hospital for consultation or for comprehensive medical treatment.
The Department of Internal Medicine is also part of Makassed’s medical specialisation program for the teaching and training of resident doctors from Al Quds University’s School of Medicine who are studying to obtain their certification from both the Jordanian and Palestinian medical boards.
The Department of Internal Medicine consists of:
- The internal medicine ward.
- The cardiac intensive care unit.
- The cardiac catheterization and peripheral artery unit.
- The cardiac imaging unit.
- The ECG and heart monitoring unit.
- The digestive endoscopy division.
- The lung endoscopy and pulmonary function unit.
- The clinics of internal medicine, cardiology, diabetes, endocrinology, rheumatology, dermatology and respiratory diseases.
The Department of Internal Medicine covers all aspects of internal diseases, which include:
- Medical problems in general.
- Heart disease.
- Rheumatic diseases.
- Endocrine diseases and diabetes.
- Respiratory diseases and sleep disorders.
- Digestive disorders.
- Dermatological diseases and disorders.
The services and treatment procedures provided by the Department of Internal Medicine are:
- The treatment of general medical problems.
- The admission and treatment of acute and severe heart conditions including heart attacks, valve disorders, heart muscle weakness and heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmias).
- Cardiac and vein catheterization and coronary interventions for the coronary arteries, extremity veins and arteries of the heart.
- Angioplasty and vascular stenting procedures.
- Implanting pacemakers and other devices to regulate the heart beat and to assist the heart muscle.
- Cardiac imaging through the chest and through the esophagus as well as through the surgical cardiac imaging process.
- Performing cardiac CT scans on the cardiovascular and peripheral arteries.
- Performing intravascular ultrasounds, cardiac PETs, cardiac MIRs, echocardiograms (ECGs).
- The treatment of rheumatic and endocrine diseases, diabetes, and respiratory diseases.
- The treatment of respiratory diseases through assisted breathing devices, pulmonary function tests, pulmonary endoscopy and asthma treatment by endoscopy.
- The treatment of sleep apnea disorder.
- Endoscopic gastrointestinal diagnostic and therapeutic treatment.
- Patient follow-up in the intensive care units at the hospital.
- Sleep laboratory.
Names of the specialized physicians working at the Department of Internal Medicine:
Dr. Ezzedine Yassin Hussein: Internal medicine and cardiology consultant, and head of the Department of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Khaled Al Mubaslat: Internal medicine and cardiology specialist.
Dr. Munir Al Kiswani: Internal medicine and cardiology specialist.
Dr. Khaled Abdel Dayem: Internal medicine and cardiology specialist.
Dr. Ons Mhanna: Internal medicine and rheumatology specialist.
Dr. Abdel Latif Shawar: Internal medicine and endocrinology specialist.
Dr. Marwan Omar: Internal medicine and pulmonology specialist.
Dr. Ragheb Al Assali: Internal medicine and thoracic and pulmonology specialist.